NSLI-Y 15th Anniversary Storytelling Competition
In celebration of its 15th anniversary, the NSLI-Y program is holding a NSLI-Y Storytelling Competition!
The NSLI-Y Storytelling Competition is a chance to highlight the transformative experience that the NSLI-Y program provides for youth. We hope this competition will encourage more youth to apply to the NSLI-Y program when they learn about how the language learning, cultural exchange, and global ambassadorship offered by the NSLI-Y program has changed young people’s lives for the past 15 years.
Story Prompt and Guidelines
NSLI-Y Alumni, please submit your entry to the NSLI-Y Storytelling Contest by September 17. Choose from one of the following prompts:
- Tell a story about a moment when you knew you could make a difference in the global community.
- Tell a story about a moment or an interaction you had with someone that impacted your thinking, or worldview.
- Tell a story about a moment when you learned something new about yourself.
- Tell a story about an interaction when you felt really great about your language skills, and knew you wanted more connections like that?
Submissions can be submitted in one of or a combination of the following formats:
- Personal essays, poems, and other written mediums. Word limit: 2,000. Photographs can be included.
- Videos. 5-minute limit.
Submissions should highlight unique NSLI-Y perspectives, showcase personal transformative experiences, and display creativity.
Submission Due Date: October 11, 2021
Winners Announced: November 2021
Winners will receive NSLI-Y merchandise and have the chance to attend a creative storytelling workshop in early 2022 (exact date TBD)!